Here is a short list of the problems we encounter at the interface between science and society.
- Public distrust of science and technology: is it really good for us?
- Scientific community isolated, marginalized, elite
- Reductionist science, specialization makes it difficult to understand
- Difficult to communicate uncertainty and risk
- Volume of information, pace of discovery, rate of change overwhelming
- As relative understanding and trust decline, public reliance on science and technology deepens.
- Decline in public funding of research matched by increased private, commercial funding compromises independence of science.